Green tea extract has been the much talked about ingredient in the health and fitness circles in the last decade. And it’s still being celebrated as a trusted aide in promoting weight loss, blood sugar regulation, disease prevention and exercise recovery. Green tea is also known to keep your skin and liver healthy, reduce blood fat levels, regulate blood pressure and improve brain health, when taken regularly and in the correct dosage. Here are some of the top benefits of green tea extract.
- Packed with antioxidants: Polyphenol antioxidants, also called catechins make for the majority of green tea extract’s antioxidant content. Among the catechins in green tea, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is the most important one and the reason for most of the health benefits.
- Reduces blood pressure: Studies have shown that green tea extract increases the antioxidant capacity of the body and protects against oxidative stress. This stress causes inflammation of the arteries. The decrease in inflammation thanks to the intake of green tea can help reduce blood pressure and related diseases.
- Prevents brain diseases: Green tea extract helps reduce brain damage that could lead to mental decline and brain diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and dementia. It is known to help memory by enhancing the connection between different parts of the brain.
- Enables weight loss: Green tea extract is rich in catechins and it contains caffeine. Both catechins and caffeine in the tea assist in weight loss by regulating the hormones that can enhance thermogenesis (burning of calories). This has a direct impact on losing weight.
- Organ Functions: Green tea is a significant enabler in healthy organ functioning including liver, heart and skin. But it only works when there is consistent and moderate intake. The green tea extract shows significant reductions in liver enzyme levels, which indicates good liver health.
It should be noted that green tea extract, while harmless and easy on the body, should be taken in moderate quantities. It is not known to cure severe illnesses and should be taken as a supplement to medication if needed.